Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Even You Brutus!



I'm sorry I haven't been active in updating my blog, School stress has been taking its toll on me. My chest is so heavy with so many issues but I Dont know where to start. I guess I'll have to start from somewhere, the middle maybe.

Today is my elder brother's birthday. He is not just a brother, he is a friend, an ally and the source of most if the inspirations I get. Happy Birthday Bro Chibuike.

Hoping to make it my companion in the coming few days as I take you on a rollercoaster ride into some details of my life.

A lot of things have changed in my life in the past few days. These changes occurred in my relationships, philosophies and orientation about life. Life they say is the best teacher and if I’ve learnt anything from her, then it should be in the past few days. The lessons of the past few days are priceless and I will cherish them all through my life.

While I may have the temptation of going into full details, I am being constrained by the fact that doing so will mean mentioning names which may not enjoy the goodwill of some persons so I will let the sleeping dog lie by going parabolic.

As a young guy growing up in our contemporary society where perversity thrives, I may not boast of having the best morals, ethics or values, but there are values that make me unique and different from others. They cannot be compromise. One of such values is my altruistic nature which will form the basis of this blog post.

Most times I have had people scold me for being unnecessarily generous to a fault. For many people it is  foolish for someone to consider others before considering himself/herself and for that reason, I have been called a fool severally, with the most recent case being at the ATM where I went to withdraw money and had to relinquish my turn for some other fellow. After standing in the queue for several minutes this guy walked up to me after so many people in front of me refused to help him. He told me how he had a bus to meet up with and needed to withdraw the transport fare before sales of ticket will end. The desperation on the face of this guy was enough to melt my heart as I was no longer interested in the veracity of the guy’s story. I wanted to help the guy by allowing him withdraw before me, but those behind me refused vehemently, I was only left with the option of relinquishing my position for this guy.  The people on the queue must have wondered who this ‘guy’ was, but then that’s the typical me.

I can go on and on with instances but for the sake of time and space, I may stop here. However, I must confess though that this selfless attitude has put me in trouble a couple of times where in trying to help out I ended up hurting myself. The events of the past days and weeks have seen me question this attitude of mine. Is it really worth it?  You show all the care, help and love to someone and the person takes it for a ride and even come back to haunt you later. How much my heart cringes at this act of men.

Now, I know how Julius Ceased felt when he said to Marcus 'Et tu brute'. A deep feeling of regret, revenge and anger. It has happened to me and I know exactly how it feels.

I will continue this blog post tomorrow, duty calls. Until then, I’ve learnt to distance myself from anyone who is egoistic, anyone who appreciates and values money more than any other thing in life. I have learnt not to trust anyone. Finally, I’ve learnt to build my fortress in God alone.

May God help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web design